Friday, January 19, 2018

Week 24: Grammar Boot Camp Wrap Up

Even though grammar is hardly my favorite thing, this ended up being a rigorous and fun week! Students demonstrated what they knew (or weren't sure of), which will help guide my instruction as we move into more rigorous writing. We will be hitting sentences next week and continue to read about distracted walking which will lead to an essay next week. I love teaching these kids and seeing the lights come on!

I sent an email home today, if you didn't get it--here are the highlights:

1-Missing Work Reports are coming home today. IF a student brings it back signed by a parent/guardian they'll received table points and Robins Rewards from me.

2-Students have a short article and organizer to fill out to be prepared for Article-of-the-Week's discussion on Monday. It's critical that they are prepared and read to do their best on Monday.

3-There is more work missing that I've seen in a long time. Please encourage them to keep up on their reading and request to come in for advisory if they need help with missing work.


I appreciate your support and I'm here if you have any questions or concerns. Thanks again and have a wonderful weekend! 

Week 24 Schedule

Monday, January 22nd

Genre-of-Week/Prefix-of-the-Week/Class Jobs
Article-of-the-Week DUE *Please come to class prepared!
Socratic Seminar
(If you're in Outer Circle, you'll have an accountability sheet due)
New Article-of-the-Week to be handed out

Tuesday, January 23rd
Free Reading
Simple & Compound Sentences
Instruction & Practice

Wednesday, January 24th

Library Day: Meet in library 


Thursday, January 25th
Free Reading 
Complex Sentences & Practice 
Book #8 DUE 

Friday, January 26th
Grammar Wrap-Up
Sentences Quiz
Free Reading 
Honors: Newspaper Day
Book Orders Due


Socratic Seminar!

This was SO much fun and engaging. A Socratic Seminar is when students read a common text, generate questions and participate in a student-led discussion. I was so proud of my students! It's been one of my favorite teaching days ever! Here's 2nd period demonstrating the magic.




No comments:

Post a Comment