Friday, November 1, 2019

Week #13: Welcome Trimester 2...it's a new start!

I am looking forward to returning to the classroom on Monday! I'm coming off of a respiratory illness, but am on the tail-end and feeling much better. I've missed teaching and am excited to get back to what I love with students I really enjoy!

After looking at 1st trimester grades and the unusually high amount of missing work, I'm going to change a few things that I'd like everyone to be aware of (I'll review this on Monday too).

New Trimester: Clean Slate!!
Image result for clean slate"


  • Reading Logs due Monday for full points. You can hand them in on Tuesday or Wednesday, but points will be reduced. No points after Wednesday, you'll need to do a make-up assignment. I'll be handing out those make-up assignments each Wednesday and it's up to the students to complete it. Please be honest and thorough in keeping track of what you read.
    • In-class reading or at-school reading does count, you just have to write it down.
    • I strongly encourage you to work with your child to make a system. The only way to improve your reading ability is reading. We have so many low readers, please, please help.
    • Students in Study Skills classes or with IEP's may have individual accommodations--these are made on a one-to-one basis.
  • There has been major behavior problems in my absence. I'm running the method our school recommends (4 R's). I'm really frustrated that some students are disruptive and ruining the learning experience for others. It's unacceptable and won't be happening anymore. If a student violates expectations or disrupts class...
    • They are reminded of expectations 
    • They are redirected (given a warning-time to refocus)
    • Next step is relocation to another classroom, library or area in my room where they will fill out a "think sheet" that comes home. They will also lose behavior points from a bank I'm giving all students that will effect their grade.
  • In Class-Teams are discontinued at this point due to student behavior in my absence. Instead, students with 0 missing assignments and 0 behavior issues during 1st trimester will be invited to a celebration during advisory--invitations are coming. This is in lieu of teams parties that were going to happen.
  • New Seating Charts are coming. I need to make sure students with vision/attention issues get front-row seating. Some students will be experiencing schedule changes due to disruptive behavior. Once I get all that solidified, I'll make the change.
  • Expect More Home Contact I've never had a group of students where so there are so many missing assignments and behavior problems. When I see a pattern, your student and I will call you from school to enlist your support and make a plan.
  • Technology Violations-I'll be using our district monitoring system, Impereo. This means every time we use computers, students screens will be displayed for all to see. Students trying to sneak gaming or YouTube will be given a technology violation and home contact made. If these continue, your student will lose their Digital Driver's License and will no longer be able to use technology at school--which will make life very difficult. Please encourage your student to be honest. 
  • Expect More Rewards: Touch Gold cards, Robins Rewards, Candy, Surprises, Drawings, etc. I want to reward those students who merit it due to outstanding effort, academic performance, good attitudes, on-time work, great behavior, etc. 
Just a reminder, student photos are  displayed on our private class Instagram account @therealmrsrobins. Please follow and see what fun things we are doing in class.

This week we will be diving into Nonfiction Notice and Note--a way to close read informational text. It's a fun, engaging way to quickly survey text for critical information to promote understanding. I'm teaching in the context of articles about refugees (Scope Magazine). If your student misses a day this week, they must sign up for advisory to glue in notes and get missed material. This stuff is hard to make-up, so please be in attendance.


Week 13 Schedule
Time to Start Fresh

Monday, November 4th
Week 12 Reading Logs Due
Procedure Review
Trimester Reflection/Goal Setting

Tuesday, November 5th
"War in America" Syrian Refugee article
Nonfiction Notice and Note: Numbers & Stats notes and practice

Wednesday, November 6th
Library Day!
Meet upstairs in the library:)
*pass off books to me

Thursday, November 7th
Quoted Words and Extreme & Absolute Language notes and practice 
N & N Game on concepts learned so far

Friday, November 8th
Monthly Drawing (based on behavior)
"I Live in a Refugee Camp" article 
Word Gaps notes and practice

STUDENTS: TELL ME YOU READ THE BLOG TO RECEIVE A ROBINS REWARD

Image result for do your best"

2 comments: