Friday, October 5, 2018

Week 9: Novel Wrap-Up & Fall Break

Is it really almost Fall Break? This year is going by quickly. Thank you to those of you that were able to come to SEP's and meet with me. It was a pleasure. I love teaching your children and it's always great to meet with parents & guardians. I'll be sending home progress reports and a tip sheet on reading/writing ideas to improve your skills at home. I'm always available via email or can meet with you before or after school. Thanks for the ongoing support!

Last week I attended a workshop about teaching writing and I'm ridiculously excited! In case you hadn't heard the news, the SAGE test is no more and will be replaced by a reading-only test called RISE. However, this doesn't mean for a second that I won't be teaching writing!! However, it means that I do get to change how I teach writing, in a far more authentic and meaningful way. We'll be writing a piece every 3 weeks. Then, students will learn specific skills as they revise for 2 weeks, working on that same piece, refining it, doing real world writing practice. This will build skills, confidence and I'll even make it fun:) Grading will be based on effort with the final submission of the essay receiving a final grade. Attendance is critical, so please be at school...unless you are sick and then I'll work with you.

In our Honors class, we were able to speak with new author, Geoffrey Simpson. I was so proud of the great questions the Honors kids asked and how respectful they were during our Skype visit. Mr. Simpson was quite impressed at the quality of questions and great behavior of the class. His novel, The Three Hares: Bloodline, is the first in a series and is a fantastic novel. It was so fun to hear how much planning and thought he puts into his writing. I have a couple copies of the book and encourage students to check them out! This was the first time I've had an author visit our classroom and it was a blast! Expect more in the future!



Week 9
October 11th-October 15th
Monday, October 11th
Writer's Workshop for Novel Essays
No Library Visit because of the short week, 
you'll have an opportunity today to do library business.

Tuesday, October 12th
Free Reading
Novel Study

Wednesday, October 13th
Free Reading 
Novel Study
Honors: Newspaper Day


There will be a Fall Break OPTIONAL Reading Challenge. Click here to preview. I'll have copies available on Monday. Directions MUST be followed exactly to qualify for the party. Happy Reading and ENJOY some time off:)
Code Phrase: I FALL for reading!

Image result for fall break

No comments:

Post a Comment