Sunday, November 18, 2018

Week 14: Schedule, Benchmarks Explained and Happy Thanksgiving!

Hello! Yes, it is just a 2 day school week so we all can enjoy a long Thanksgiving vacation!
I always reflect on what I'm grateful for this time of year, and I'm so thankful to teach such great students and love my time with them in the classroom. I also appreciate the good communication and continued support from parents.

Our classes are participating in Scholastic's Pajama Drive. This is totally optional, but a cool way to serve. Students can bring in new pajamas to donate if they'd like. These pj's are distributed to needy kids across the nation along with a book from Scholastic. Here is the information: PAJAMA DRIVE

Every Thanksgiving break, I do an optional reading challenge. Those who complete it are invited for a pumpkin pie part with me. I'll hand out copies, or you can print here: Thanksgiving Reading Challenge follow directions carefully.

Yes, I did offer students extra credit if they completed the Kindness Bingo Card. It's due on Tuesday, November 20th. Accessible here if a student lost theirs: Kindness Bingo Card Just scroll down to print. Reading the book "Wonder" is not required since they only had a week to complete:)

Yes, we did have reading benchmarks and they are on Powerschool. Here is what you need to know, but please, please email me with any additional concerns or clarification.

  • We are using Moby Max Reading Literature and Reading Informational Benchmarks. It's our first year using them and it's a mixed bag. As a department we will be exploring other options, but we can track growth on them now.
  • They do show on your student's grade, but they do not factor into the grade. They are only used to monitor progress. There are no re-takes as they are simply to track growth.
  • You can look under Trimester 1 scores and see if there has been growth or not--or email me.
  • 50% is around beginning-of-7th grade level. 65% is 1/3 into the school year. That's why the total is out of 65.
  • I'll also be giving the Monroe Reading Benchmark again. This gives an actual grade level. You can check Trimester 1 scores and watch for a new one next week. 7.5 = 7th grade, 5th month.
  • I'll be emailing some of you if your student is far below to see if we can figure out what about reading is causing difficulty.

Weekly Schedule
Monday, Nov. 19th & Tuesday, Nov. 20th

Monday, November 19th
In-class Figurative Language Presentations

Tuesday, November 20th
Figurative Language Quiz (short) 
Monroe Reading Benchmark (7 minutes)
Free Reading
**If you miss this, you can get the quiz in advance and do it at home OR do it during advisory. I'll do make-up for the Monroe Benchmark test after the break. This one has to be administered by me and cannot be done at home. 
**We will complete these and go watch the Gecka-thon if you are in 2nd or 3rd periods.

  1. Image result for happy thanksgiving

No comments:

Post a Comment