Friday, November 29, 2019

Week #17: Introduction to "A Christmas Carol"

I hope everyone had a fantastic Thanksgiving break with family and friends! I'm excited to be back to enjoy the 3 week stretch until Christmas vacation.

I am including this on the weekly email as well, but we are participating in a very special book drive. I'm honored to support this cause. Please see the flyer for details: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1NpO1_ALd4T-4P2zIme43E517yzu7bWVcbpgsJUIy7D0/edit?usp=sharing
This is a great way to serve, is spearheaded by a local student, is promoting literacy and you can clean out your home libraries!

We will be diving into Charles Dicken's A Christmas Carol, which has long been one of my favorite novels. I taught it for the first time last year with great success and great reception from students. It's a fabulous read that will also count as a completed book on their iRead Bingo Card. Per usual, 3 days of in-class reading may be counted for daily reading but students must be responsible and fill out their reading log. Here are some highlights of how we will be reading this novel.
  • Yes, the plan is to watch the movie before school is out to really focus on compare/contrast of the book and movie genres. This is part of our state-mandated core...and it's totally enjoyable!
  • I'll be front-loading vocabulary. In small groups, students will be assigned a word to research and share with the rest of the class for each stave. They will learn about ten new words per stave (chapter).
  • I will also introduce them to the time period and novel-specific situations to help them better understand what is happening. For example, Tiny Tim's illness, child labor and Victorian currency.
  • Yes, the language is elevated and sometimes unfamiliar. However, it's amazing how our brains can start to fill in the gaps, so after a day or two of listening in class, the novel will start to come together and make sense.
  • There will be some art elements in translating the depiction of the 4 ghosts to a visual format.
  • Lots of focus and discussion on the theme of change and how Scrooge is capable of great change. 
  • I'll be introducing the novel in a fun, engaging way this week, so be sure to ask for child for details!




Much to my frustration, students are already missing a lot of work. I know everyone misses school on occasion, but students have got to learn to take the initiative and take care of missing work ASAP. I sure appreciate those who do!

I've had big plans to do a special party for students with NO missing work last trimester and outstanding behavior for myself and my substitute when I was out with medical leave. Unfortunately, the high amount of students I'm having to request each week to finish work hasn't left me time. These students will get a special treat and reward from me on Monday, so be sure to be at school:) 

As always, I'm happy to discuss your individual student--I love what I do and I love seeing your child succeed! Do not hesitate to email me or call me before or after school hours (435-652-4742).
All the best, Mrs. Robins


Week #17 Schedule

Monday, December 2nd
Turkey Reading Challenge Due
Pick up a Week #17 Reading Log!
Figurative Language Quiz
Christmas Carol Introduction

Tuesday, December 3rd
Bellwork: Writing Prompt
Finish Christmas Carol Introduction
Stave I Vocabulary

Wednesday, December 4th
A Christmas Carol
Reading & Activity

Thursday, December 5th
A Christmas Carol
Reading & Activity

Friday, December 6th
A Christmas Carol
Reading & Activity


No comments:

Post a Comment