Monday, January 7, 2013

Update on Book Reports

I just wanted to pass along something that I told all the students today concerning book reports.  I've decided that the "Diary of a Wimpy Kid" series will no longer be accepted for book reports.  The series certainly has value, I have the entire set at home, but I'm afraid that many students have been using this series as a cop-out and a way to read an "easy" book for their book reports.  Frankly, taking the easy way out will not benefit students in the long run so I've decided to exempt the series from the possibilities of book report options.  

Additionally, I'm asking that students not read "Goosebumps" or "Captain Underpants" books either for book reports, as they are not challenging enough for 7th graders.  There is a plethora of fantastic books in my class library as well as the school library and I'd be thrilled to refer students to some really great books.  I'd encourage students to run their choice by me if they have any questions.

I posted earlier that I wanted students to read from a different genre.  In light of the busy schedule for our new unit, I'm moving that requirement to our 3rd Trimester book reports.  I'll teach a lesson on book genres then.  I will encourage all students to stretch themselves and explore different books.

So...the requirements for the book reports are:
1.  Read a book that you have NOT read before
2.  This book must be at least 150 pages
3.  Choose a book report type you have not done before (I'll be adding some more advanced options)
4.  Do not use "Diary of a Wimpy Kid" series, "Goosebumps" series or the "Captain Underpants" books.
5.  Ask Mrs. Robins if you have any questions.

Thank you for your support!

No comments:

Post a Comment