Sunday, February 3, 2013

Extra Academic and Effort Options

Our trimester ends on February 18th so all work and any extra credit work will need to be to me by February 15th (at the latest), so I have time to grade and enter scores.

One of my goals is to help my students learn responsibility.  In a perfect world, everyone would turn their work in on time and do their very best; but in reality, there is late work and poorly-done work for a variety of reasons.  So, I am extending some options for students to make-up their poor academic or effort grades.  It's important to me that all students have the chance to succeed, and I am more than willing to provide opportunities and do some extra grading myself if students are willing to put in the work. :)

Academic Extra-Credit

  • Because of our grading system, academic extra credit is limited, but you (students) may re-do ANY assignment from this past trimester.  Check with me if you don't know what to do.
  • You may do an additional Utah-in-the-News, book report, or a Utah Expedition question (beyond the 3 required) for an extra 25 academic points.  
Effort Extra-Credit
  • This seems to be the highest need in my classes. Several students have a "U" in effort because they don't fill out their planner and/or do their home reading (30 mins. a day/5 days a week) or consistently hand in late work.  Commit today to start doing your planner, including the reading.  Trust me, it will help you learn to be organized.  Here are my other options:
1.  Writing Contests:  I have writing contests available in the classroom--choose one to do, bring me the form back correctly filled out & signed by a parent/guardian.  I will award 20 effort points per writing contest AND you could win a book or money (depending on the contest).



Many of the contests are found in Scope Magazine that we read each week.  You may go to http://www.scholastic.com/scopemagazine/Issues/021113/Reproducibles.html#nonfiction, click on the article that looks interesting and then click on "CONTEST ENTRY FORM" and fill it out and bring it to me.  I'll give you credit and mail out the contest form for you.

2.  Scholastic Writing Site:  Go to http://teacher.scholastic.com/writewit/ and choose one writing "class" to go through online.  At the end, you will be able to submit to Scholastic for possible publication on their website!  To get 25 effort points, email or print me a copy of the writing piece you submitted and a couple sentences about what you learned from the writer who taught you some tips.


Scholastic - Read Every Day. Lead a Better Life


3.  Language Arts Computer Games:  Go to http://www.vocabulary.co.il/word-play/ and play any grade-level word/vocabulary games you would like.  To get points, you will need to email me the names of the games you played, what your score was for each game and how many total minutes you were on the site.  For every 5 different games played (at least 2 rounds), I will award 10 points.



Vocabulary.co.il


Looking ahead to the rest of 2nd Trimester and all of 3rd Trimester, decided today that you will do your planner checks every week, record your home reading with a parent/guardian signature AND hand in your work on time.  Please DO YOUR BEST!!  







No comments:

Post a Comment