Thursday, February 12, 2015

Welcome to 3rd Trimester: Week 26

It's a new trimester, our last one, and another fresh start. This is my favorite trimester because I know the students well, I've seen their growth and I can take my curriculum up to the next level to match their ability to critically think. I am completely enjoyed this group of students and I am so very proud of their hard work and effort.

We'll kick off the trimester with a class novel: The Giver. I'm really excited about "The Giver", it's a Newbury Award winner, widely considered a classic YA novel and one of the first YA dystopian books written. Throughout the novel unit, we will Close Read, learning to find context clues, analyze theme, review figurative language and focus on summarizing/retelling. Each of these items meet our Department's Guaranteed and Viable Curriculum, prompts critical thinking and will prepare students for their reading SAGE test in May. "The Giver" is one of my favorite books, rich in theme and symbolism and I'm excited to explore it with students. We will be watching the movie adaptation at the end of the unit (I'll be sending permission slips home) to do a compare/contrast between book and film...trust me, there is a lot to analyze! I'm really looking forward to diving into this novel with students.


Thank you for the ongoing positive feedback and support. I really enjoy every single day with your student and I'm so proud of the great progress they each are making! As always, I welcome conversations with parents and students alike. My email is rachel.robins@washk12.org or call me at school 652-4742. I am also available before or after school.


Monday, February 16th
No School
Happy President's Day!

Tuesday, February 17th
Free Reading
Introduction to "The Giver" (including explanation of final product)
Exploration of Utopia cities/ideals

Wednesday, February 18th
Free Reading
Dystopia Genre Notes
"The Giver" pages 1-10
Giver Vocabulary

Thursday, February 19th
Free Reading
Journal Prompt
"The Giver" pages 11-20

Friday, February 20th
Free Reading
Journal Prompt
"The Giver" Close Reading/Activity

I'm delighted to recognize the following students, I'm so PROUD of all of you for your hard work.



Veteran's of War Essay Winners: Skylar and Brinley AND...

Ellie!!

Ethan is part of the 40 Club--Woot!

Way to be a reader Avery!!


So proud of you Emily!!


No comments:

Post a Comment