Sunday, September 22, 2013

Week 7 Schedule and Update

I was really proud of my students this week as they worked hard to learn Parts of Speech and almost 100% of student turned their book reports in on time. Yay!  I'm diligently grading this weekend and will hand book reports back on Monday and Tuesday of the upcoming week.  Several of the students received low scores on their reports because they did not follow instructions.  However, any student who wishes can revise their book report and hand it in for a higher grade by the end of the week. I really want them to succeed and I am more than happy to grade again and raise scores.

Please remind your child to do their weekly reading at home (30 mins. a day x 5 days a week) and sign (just once per week is fine) on their blue reading sheet that they glue inside their planner.  Practicing reading is essential to improving fluency and comprehension, so keep encouraging them to read.

The following students will have Utah-in-the-News this week.  They need to print/cut-out an article that happened in Utah and summarize it in their own words on the sheet I will give them.  They will present in front of the class on the following Friday.  If they are not prepared, they will need to do another report.

Utah-in-the-News
Presentations on Friday, September 27th

1st Period: Jeremy Mock, Derek Rush, Melanie Lent
2nd Period: Alex Guzman, Jaylie Evans, Breanne Green
4th Period:Bryanna Olvera, Daveena Martinez, Jeremy Olsen
5th Period: *Juan Anguiano, *Tristan Auston, Alicia Baker, Ashlin Bergenson, Dalton Bowler
6th Period: *Nate Tamplin, Kate Smith, Cheyenne Rose, Spencer Saling

* = unprepared, must do 2 reports

Week 7 Schedule
September 23-September 27

Monday, September 23
*Short PLC Day (school out at 11:15)
Calendar Wk. 7/Reading Check for Wk. 6
Genre-of-the-Week: Science Fiction
Anti-Gossip Posters
Learning Objective: I can be organized by scheduling in my planner and showing Mrs. Robins my reading minutes.  I can also learn to think critical by designing an Anti-Gossip Poster to go along with the Weekly Warrior Challenge to stop gossip.

Tuesday, September 24
Quiz on Parts of Speech Foldable
Work on It's A Job Posters (draw/label nouns, finish career person)
Learning Objective: I can demonstrate knowledge of Parts of Speech on the quiz and I can work in a group, doing my part, as we work on our Job Poster.

Wednesday, September 25
DOL #2 & 2a
Simple and Compound Sentences Lesson and Practice
Learning Objective: I will practice editing and sentence correction during DOL.  I can learn, understand and practice using Simple and Compound Sentences.

Thursday, September 26
Scope Magazine Activity
Library Day
Learning Objective: I can read and understanding informational text through Scope Magazine.  I can also practice critical thinking.

Friday, September 27
Random Student of the Week Spotlight
Utah-in-the-News Presentations
Gecko Time (Enrichment, Reteaching or Homework Hall)
*Revised Book Reports DUE
Learning Objective: I can celebrate learning by participating in an Enriched Activity if my work is complete; if not, I can focus on catching-up in Homework Hall or relearning important concepts in Reteaching.





No comments:

Post a Comment