Saturday, September 28, 2013

Week 8 Update and Schedule

It's been another fantastic week in 7th grade as we have been tackling Parts of Speech and working on our It's A Job Posters.  I've got to tell you, I am thrilled with the students this year.  Not only are they smart and try hard, but they are kind and a lot of fun to teach.  I leave school every day with a smile on my face.  Thank you for sharing your wonderful children with me!

This week is Parent Teacher Conferences on Wednesday and Thursday from 3-6:30pm.  I would love to meet you and talk about how I can best serve your student.  I know schedules get crazy this time of year, so I'll be sure I have ideas and information about your specific child to make your visit worth your time. I want to cater my instruction so every child can be reached and I look forward to visiting with you about your student and how I can help them.  Plus, I'll have a bowl of candy & mints to boot; so, please come if you can!

The Scholastic Book Fair is offered during Parent Teacher Conferences, so be sure to pop into the Little Theater at the school and take a look at the fantastic & affordable books that are for sale.  It's always a good opportunity to build your home library.  Students will do a Book Fair Preview on Monday to get a look at the offerings this year.

Every 6 weeks, 3-4 students per class (during the last 15 mins. of class on Wednesdays) will be invited to participate in Peer Tutoring for the Special Needs students in our school in the Severe Unit under the direction of Ms. Lauren Wright.  If they are selected, they will bring a permission slip home for you to sign.  Our first group has gone for two weeks and has had a wonderful experience.  The Special Needs students in our school want to belong and feel included and both Ms. Wright and I have been touched by the students' compassion and ability to help those students.  I am so proud of them and hope to extend this opportunity to as many students as possible throughout the school year.

Please remind your child to do their weekly reading at home (30 mins. a day x 5 days a week) and sign (just once per week is fine) on their blue reading sheet that they glue inside their planner.  Practicing reading is essential to improving fluency and comprehension, so keep encouraging them to read. *I have made the offer to every class that if everyone gets a "10" on their planner checks on a Monday, I'll bring doughnuts the next day. Home reading is the biggest part of the planner check so please be sure to encourage your student.

The following students will have Utah-in-the-News this week.  They need to print/cut-out an article that happened in Utah and summarize it in their own words on the sheet I will give them.  They will present in front of the class on the following Friday.  If they are not prepared, they will need to do another report.  The news reports don't always need to focus on the most gruesome or sad stories in Utah, you may want to encourage your student to branch out and find other types of articles. :)

As always, I am so appreciative for your support and encouragement.  Please feel free to reach me by email (rachel.robins@washk12.org) or by phone at 652-4742.  Have a fabulous week!

Utah-in-the-News
Presentations on Friday, October 4th

1st Period: Ben Kemp, Ethan Hyde, Demi Hunter
2nd Period: Kaden Campbell, Tiffani Hatch, Elley Lyman, Sadie Mangum
4th Period:  Jeremy Olsen (absent), Chase Klien, Jonah Jeppson, Kenneth Hafen
5th Period:  Kirk Brown, Tory Campbell, Teagon Congdon
6th Period:  Kate Smith (absent),  Sandy Ramierz, Kasey Prince, Alexis Quibble

* = unprepared, must do 2 reports

Week 8 Schedule
September 30-October 4

Monday, September 30
Calendar Wk. 8/Reading Check for Wk. 7
Genre-of-the-Week: Science Fiction
Monday-Write: Using Vocabulary Words
Book Fair Preview
End of the Month Drawing!!
Learning Objective: I can be organized by scheduling in my planner and showing Mrs. Robins my reading minutes.  I can also demonstrate my ability to find the meaning of words and use those words in a creative write.

Tuesday, October 1st
Complex Sentences
"Name that Sentence" Game
It's A Job Poster
Learning Objective: I will learn to identify, understand and use complex sentences.  I can work with my group and contribute by creating our It's A Job Posters.

Wednesday, October 2nd
DOL #2b & #2c
Steps of Effective Paragraphs
Parent Teacher Conferences 3:00-6:30pm
Learning Objective: I will practice editing and sentence correction during DOL.  I can learn, understand and practice the Steps of an Effective Paragraph.

Thursday, October 3rd
It's A Job Poster Work
Library Day
Parent Teacher Conferences 3:00-6:30pm
Learning Objective:  I can work with my group and contribute by creating our It's A Job Posters.

Friday, October 4th
Random Student of the Week Spotlight
Utah-in-the-News Presentations
Gecko Time (Enrichment, Reteaching or Homework Hall)
 Learning Objective: I can celebrate learning by participating in an Enriched Activity if my work is complete; if not, I can focus on catching-up in Homework Hall or relearning important concepts in Reteaching.

No comments:

Post a Comment