Friday, August 28, 2015

Week 4 Update

Another great week in Language Arts! I've got to say, these kids are fantastic. I so appreciate how hard they work, their great attitudes and how much fun they are to teach.

We've started our first unit on Plot Elements. This is important that students can navigate the flow of a story and determine the parts. This will lead to increased comprehension and writing ability. We've started with Pixar shorts and will move to stories as they continue to practice.

Thank you for the book orders. I'm thrilled to see so many students gaining books for their home libraries. There has been some weirdness with the Scholastic site. They should be back online this evening and I won't send off the book order until I see that the online orders placed have gone through. If you have tried to place an online order, please give it another go this evening.

I'm excited to see so many students jazzed about reading. The iRead program is in full swing and I'm looking forward to a year of great growth from students. Remember I need to see a filled-out book tracker and bingo sheet to give them credit for their reading.

As always, please email me with any questions and keep an eye on PowerSchool to check grades. I've had several students with absences. Remember to check with me the morning you are back so I can catch you up. Enjoy your weekend and thanks again for a fantastic week!

Week 4 Schedule
August 31-September 4

Monday, August 31st
Genre-of-the-Week: Poetry
Model Quizlet (Plot Elements)
Plot Chart: Partly Cloudy
New Seating
End-of-the-Month Drawing

Tuesday, September 1st
Plot Chart: La Luna
Plot Chart: Stories as a table group
Honors: Newspaper Day

Wednesday, September 2nd
Meet in Library
Team Seating Points/Team Flag

Thursday, September 3rd
CFA #1 (Plot Elements)
Free Reading

Friday, September 4th
Free Reading
Random Student-of-the-Week
Introduce "Wednesday Wars"
(Web Quest)



Way to go Jonah! He's our first published writer in the Spectrum. Jonah wrote the update on our school in Friday's Community section. Woot!

Here are a couple shots of my 6th period perusing newspapers looking for fresh ideas to create The Gecko Gazette! Look for our first edition on October 1st.



Another infographic with compelling information about reading!

1 comment: