Thursday, February 18, 2016

Week 27: It's a Superhero Kind of Week

Yes, that's right--it's all about Superheroes and some super writing skills this week! We are focusing on learning how to organize and write argumentative essays and practicing with superhero text as students argue why their favorite is the best! Who said writing shouldn't be fun? Essays will be due on Friday, February 26th. It's essential student meet the deadline because on March 1st, I will have a sub in my class while I meet with each student individually to do writer's conferences. This is very important as I am not able to do this very often and I can address each student writer specifically and talk about what they are doing well and what improvements can be made. This will not only help them grow as writers, but prepare them for the SAGE end-of-level testing. I need time to grade their essays before conferences, so please encourage your child to be in school and work hard this week. There will be doughnuts for the class with the highest amount of on-time essays.

February 22nd will be the beginning of a new trimester: a fresh start. I encourage each 7th grade to work hard and finish strong. I have enjoyed this group of students immensely and I'll miss them but I'm look forward to a dynamite stretch to the finish.

Remember to keep reading 30 minutes at home at least 5 nights a week. This is my favorite time of year as many students start to complete their 40 books and are welcomed into our iRead 40 Club with a t-shirt, candy and pass into an amazing end-of-year party. Be a super reader!

As always, I am your partner in education, please email or call me with any concern or request. Thank you for the ongoing support and have a super week!



Week 27
February 22nd-26th

Monday, February 22nd
Argumentative Essay Notes
Essay Organization (foldable)

Tuesday, February 23rd
Mini Lesson: Introduction/Thesis/Body Paragraphs
B Lab to type Intro/Thesis

Wednesday, February 24th
Finish body paragraphs (2)

Thursday, February 25th
Mini Lesson: Counterclaim
Type counterclaim paragraph

Friday, February 26th
Mini Lesson: Conclusion
Type Conclusion
Superhero Argumentative Essay DUE



No comments:

Post a Comment