Friday, October 4, 2013

Week 9 Update and Schedule

A big thank you to those who attended Parent Teacher Conferences this week.  It was delightful to meet you all and talk about how awesome I think your child is and what I can do to help them. Your positive feedback and support is so very much appreciated.

Students are required to participate in one Writing Contest per trimester.  I have a wide variety to choose from.  On Monday, in lieu of a Monday-write, students will select their contest and begin working on it.  If they choose a contest where the final draft needs to be typed, they will need to finish at home.  Advanced writers will be encouraged to enter more than one contest.

We will wrap-up our It's A Job Unit this week with Paragraph Learning Centers on Tuesday and Poster Presentations on Wednesday.  I am so proud of the student's hard work and effort and very excited to see them continue to learn and progress throughout the year.

Just a reminder to make sure your student is recording their at-home reading ( 30 mins. a day, 5 days a week) and that you sign their planner.  There is nothing that will help a student more in their reading than consistent practice.

Speaking of reading, on Wednesday, October 23rd, I will be starting my Wednesday Reading Club.  Students will be invited to attend based on their grade-level reading and can attend the morning session from 7-7:30am or the afternoon 2:00-2:30pm session.  My goal is to help lower readers who are not already receiving some type of extra support at school.  This is a great opportunity for me to provide one-on-one instruction and give these students valuable reading instruction and practice.  Look for a letter to come home with further information.

As always, I am so appreciative of your support and encouragement.  Please feel free to reach me by email (rachel.robins@washk12.org) or by phone at 652-4742.  Have a fabulous week!

Utah-in-the-News
Presentations on Friday, October 11th

1st Period:  Ashley Mendel, Trayson Hollingsworth, Kailee Hampy
2nd Period:  Elley Lyman, Elevin Sotelo, Ethan Rhea, Maxx Remiro 
4th Period:   *Chase Klien, Tyler Clove, Haleigh Donlevy, Braden Esplin
5th Period:  Cade Guerisoli, Aston Haycock, Mia Hickman
6th Period:  Lauren Breckenridge, Alyssa Button, Aubri Denter

* = unprepared, must do 2 reports

Week 9 Schedule
October 7-11th

Monday, October 7th
Calendar Wk. 9/Reading Check for Wk. 8
Genre-of-the-Week: Beehive Nominees
Monday-Write: Writing Contests
Learning Objective: I can be organized by scheduling in my planner and showing Mrs. Robins my reading minutes.  I can also demonstrate my ability to write for a purpose as I select and write for a Writing Contest.

Tuesday, October 8th
DOL #3a, #3b
Paragraph Learning Centers
Learning Objective: I will practice editing and sentence correction during DOL.  I can practice and apply the 5 Characteristics of Paragraphs and have self-directed learning during Paragraph Learning Centers.

Wednesday, October 9th
DOL #3c, #4
Group Poster Presentations
Learning Objective: I will practice editing and sentence correction during DOL.  I can demonstrate my knowledge of Parts of Speech, Sentences and speaking/listening skills during our "Its A Job" Poster Presentations.

Thursday, October 10th
Scope Magazine: Reader's Theater
Library Day
Learning Objective:  I can practice reading, speaking and listening skills during Scope Reader's Theater performances.  I can apply my library skills today during our class library visit.

Friday, October 11th
Random Student of the Week Spotlight
Utah-in-the-News Presentations
Gecko Time (Enrichment, Reteaching or Homework Hall)
Media Assembly 
 Learning Objective: I can practice listening and/or presentation skills and navigate informational text during Utah-in-the-News presentations.  I can celebrate learning by participating in an Enriched Activity if my work is complete; if not, I can focus on catching-up in Homework Hall or relearning important concepts in Reteaching.

No comments:

Post a Comment