Friday, October 11, 2013

Week 10 Update and Schedule

Week 10 will be a short one as there will be no school Thursday or Friday due to Fall Break.  So, I've got a fun, learning-packed three days planned!  There will be no Utah-in-the-News and I will only require reading for Monday, Tuesday & Wednesday (90 minutes total minimum).

However, Book Reports are due on October 23rd, so I would highly recommend that you encourage your student to read and choose a book report BEFORE Fall Break.  The biggest problem with book reports has been students neglecting to following all the directions so please encourage your student to carefully read all the instructions and meet all requirements of the rubric.  Students need to choose a book (any genre) that is over 150 pages and can select any book report type they have not done before.

Speaking of reading, on Wednesday, October 23rd, I will be starting my Wednesday Reading Club. Students will be invited to attend based on their grade-level reading and can attend the morning session from 7-7:30am or the afternoon 2:00-2:30pm session.  My goal is to help lower readers who are not already receiving some type of extra support at school.  This is a great opportunity for me to provide one-on-one instruction and give these students valuable reading instruction and practice.  Look for a letter to come home this week with further information.

Book Orders are due on Wednesday, October 16th.  You may order online (see my link on the left side) or send a check to Scholastic in with you student.  I'll be sending Book Orders home on Monday.  Ordering from Scholastic is an affordable way to build your at-home library and every order placed online earns an additional book for our class library.

As always, I am so appreciative of your support and encouragement.  I feel I have the finest group of students in the school and I love being their teacher!  Please feel free to reach me by email (rachel.robins@washk12.org) or by phone at 652-4742.  Have a fabulous week and enjoy fall break!

No Utah-in-the-News this week.

Week 10 Schedule
October 14th-18th

Monday, October 14th
Calendar Wk. 10/Reading Check for Wk. 9
Genre-of-the-Week: Manga/Graphic Novels
Directions Quiz
Monday-Write: Group Work Reflection
Learning Objective: I can be organized by scheduling in my planner and showing Mrs. Robins my reading minutes.  I can practice following directions.  I will reflect on my contribution to my group on the It's a Job Project.

Tuesday, October 15th
DOL #4, #4a
Scope Magazine: Compare & Contrast
Learning Objective: I will practice editing and sentence correction during DOL.  I can read information text and practice compare and contrast.

Wednesday, October 16th
DOL #4b
Parts of Speech Review Game
Parts of Speech Post Test
Learning Objective: I will practice editing and sentence correction during DOL.  I can demonstrate my knowledge of parts of speech, sentences and paragraphs during the review game and test.

Thursday, October 17th
Fall Break--enjoy!

Friday, October 18th
Fall Break--enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment