Friday, October 18, 2013

Week 11 Update & Schedule

I hope everyone enjoyed the long Fall Break.  The Parts-of-Speech Unit was a big success and I'm pumped to begin our Personal Narrative Unit!

Recap on It's A Job Unit: This unit was very important because it gives students a foundation for writing for the rest of their lives.  I've pointed out to students that no matter what they do in their future, it's vitally important they know how to write well.  Learning the different parts of speech proved difficult for some students but with different practices and reteaching, I was pleased to see good improvement across the board.  In fact, any positive difference between a student's pre and post test will be academic extra credit.  It was very interesting to see how students worked together to create their poster.  I was proud of the self-reflection students did and I think they are understanding how much their attitude and work ethic makes an impact on the people around them.

Our Personal Narrative Unit will begin this week.  This is one of my very favorites because students learn to dig deep and really write about what is important to them.  They will learn to master figurative language, literary devices, first person narrative and narrative techniques.

Book Reports are due on October 23rd--please ask your child which book report they have selected. The biggest problem with book reports has been students neglecting to following all the directions so please encourage your student to carefully read all the instructions and meet all requirements of the rubric.  Students need to choose a book (any genre) that is over 150 pages and can select any book report type they have not done before.

As always, I am so appreciative of your support and encouragement.  I feel I have the finest group of students in the school and I love being their teacher!  Please feel free to reach me by email (rachel.robins@washk12.org) or by phone at 652-4742.  Have a fabulous week!

Utah-in-the-News
to present on Friday, October 25th

1st Period: Kayleigh Brandon, Brett Gonzales, McCade Gunter, Rachel Bunting
2nd Period:  Jessica Padron, Conner Poulsen
4th Period: *Tyler Clove, Gernimo Grayman
5th Period: Brady Jones, Bryson Kelsch, Quincey Kennedy
6th Period: Vanessa Eckberg, Holden Fisher, Yessenia Flores
*unprepared on assigned week, they will need to present 2

Week 11 Schedule
October 21-25th

Monday, October 21st
Calendar Wk. 11/Reading Check for Wk. 10
New Seating Chart
Genre-of-the-Week:  Dystopia
Monday-Write: Picture This
Learning Objective: I can be organized by scheduling in my planner and showing Mrs. Robins my reading minutes.  I can practice using strong verbs, adjectives and nouns in my Monday Write.

Tuesday, October 22nd
DOL #4b, #5
Pre Test Figurative Language/Literary Devices
Introduce Personal Narrative
Introduce Smiley Face Tricks
Learning Objective: I will practice editing and sentence correction during DOL.  I can demonstrate my knowledge during the Pre Test.  I can understand what is required in the course of the Personal Narrative unit and get excited about it!

Wednesday, October 23rd
DOL #5a, #5b
Short Story: "Girls"
Smiley Face Tricks
Book Reports Due Today!!!
*Wednesday Reading Club (7:00-7:30am or 2:00-2:30pm)
Learning Objective: I will practice editing and sentence correction during DOL.  I can make text-to-self connections after reading the story and begin to learn Smiley-Face tricks. 

Thursday, October 24th
Scope Magazine: Debate, "Should Everyone Get a Trophy?"
Library Day
Learning Objective: I can read an article and understand, demonstrated through my writing, both sides of an argument.  I can learn and practice informational text/research skills in the library.

Friday, October 25th
Utah-in-the-News Presentations
Random Student
Gecko Time: Homework Hall or Enrichment
Learning Objective: I can practice listening or presentation skills during Utah-in-the-News.  I can catch-up on missed work in Homework Hall or participate in an enriched learning opportunity in Enrichment. 


No comments:

Post a Comment