Saturday, October 26, 2013

Week 12 Update and Schedule

I was happy to see so many students work hard on their book reports and turn them in on time!  Yay, I'm working hard to have them all graded this weekend, so keep an eye on PowerSchool.

Please remember the end of the trimester is November 8th, which only gives students 10 days to complete all their work.  Writing contests are due on November 5th.  Students just need to choose one in class and get it finished.

This week as part of our Personal Narrative Unit, students will read 5 short stories, determine the theme and make a text-to-self connection and write about some event from their own lives.  These paragraphs will provide a storybank of ideas which will, by next week, start to flesh-out into a full length personal narrative. I love teaching this unit and seeing how students reflect on their own lives and grow in confidence as writers. By next week, we will be drafting and working on putting their well-written narratives together.

As always, please email me at rachel.robins@washk12.org or call (435) 652-4742 with any questions.  Thank you again for your support and have a wonderful week!


Utah-in-the-News
to present on Friday, November 1st

1st Period: *McCade Gunter (present 10/28)
2nd Period:  Jessica Padron, Conner Poulsen (present 10/28)
4th Period: *Tyler Clove, Gernimo Grayman (present 10/28), Hope Lizarraga
5th Period: Brady Jones, Brock Seacrist, Quincey Kennedy (present 10/28)
Kayla Shaffer, Lacey Newbury, Kaden Lee
6th Period: *Holden Fisher (present 10/28)
Brinkley Matheson, Skylee Melling, Dallas Navarro, Sauni Nio
*unprepared on assigned week, they will need to present 2

Week 12 Schedule
October 28-November 1st

Monday, October 28th
Calendar Wk. 12/Reading Check for Wk. 11
Genre-of-the-Week: Dystopia
Pre Test Figurative Language/Literary Devices
"Priscilla and the Wimps" & Storybank #1 (write about a time when you stuck up for someone or when you have been bullied)
Storybank #2 (keeping "Girls" in mind, write about love or an awkward moment)
Learning Objective: I can be organized by scheduling in my planner and showing Mrs. Robins my reading minutes.  I will show how much I already know about Figurative Language/Literary Devices in the pre-test.  I can practice make text-to-self connections and use the short story as a starting point to write a paragraph about my own life experience.

Tuesday, October 29th
DOL #5a &#5b
Author's Tools Mini-Lesson: Personification
"A Rice Sandwich" & Storybank #3 (write about an event with an authority figure, a time when you felt left out or an event where food was involved.)
Learning Objective: I can practice grammar and sentence correction by doing DOL.  I can practice make text-to-self connections and use the short story as a starting point to write a paragraph about my own life experience.  I can also learn about and practice using personification.

Wednesday, October 30th
Author's Tools Mini-Lesson: Organization and Voice
"Charles" & Storybank #4 (write about an event with your family, a funny story, or one about a prank)
"Duffy's Jacket" & Storybank #5 (write about a scary or mysterious event)
*Wednesday Reading Club (7:00-7:30am or 2:00-2:30pm)
 Learning Objective: I can practice grammar and sentence correction by doing DOL.  I can practice make text-to-self connections and use the short story as a starting point to write a paragraph about my own life experience.  I can also learn about and practice organization and voice in my writing.

Thursday, October 31st
Scope Magazine: Debate, "Should Everyone Get a Trophy?" (1st, 5th or 6th) "
Rushing to the Rescue" (2nd & 4th)
Library Day
Learning Objective: I can practice examining 2 sides of an issue, then forming an opinion and writing a thesis.  I can learn about informational text and practice library skills.
Happy Halloween!  Come to school in costume:)

Friday, November 1st
Utah-in-the-News Presentations
Random Student
*Minimum School Day @ school is out at 11:15am
Learning Objective: I can practice listening or presentation skills during Utah-in-the-News.  

A big congrats to 1st Period for creating an awesome door as part of our Spirit Competition.  It's a conflicted minion:)  I love the creative and fun students I get to be around every day!


No comments:

Post a Comment