Friday, November 29, 2013

Week 17 Update and Schedule

I hope everyone enjoyed the long Thanksgiving Break--I know I did, but I'm excited to get back to school! We'll be starting our Book-to-Film unit where we will be discovering how novels are adapted to film with a focus on specific techniques used by directors and authors to portray characters, setting, plot, etc.  All movie clips shown in class will be PG & PG-13 and will be content and age-appropriate.  Remember that students should choose a novel that has been adapted to a movie.  They are responsible to read this book and watch the movie at home.  I will be giving specific instructions for students to create a PowerPoint Book Report which will be due December 18th.  This is such a fun unit and really teaches students how to critically think.  Please email me with any specific questions.

Post-Unit Quiz on Figurative Language: If you would like to re-take the test, you may do so ONCE by going to Mr. Rarick's blog (http://raricks-room.blogspot.com/), clicking the UTIPS link and following directions as explained in class.  Please email me your score.  If you are still unsatisfied with your score, or if your score was below 70%, you can attending the Re-Teaching portion of Friday's Gecko Time and take a different version of the test then.

Note that Reading Benchmark Test will be next week on December 9th and 10th.

On Tuesday, we did some FUN Round-Robin Thanksgiving Writing.  I have pictures and will be posting the winning writings this week.  I left them at school, so please check the blog later this week.

As always, please contact me at rachel.robins@washk12.org or 435-652-4742 if you have any questions or concerns.  Thank you for your support, and get ready for a fun-filled week of learning.  *Please note all pictures I have taken this year are posted on the blog.  See the "Photos" link on the left side. Enjoy!


Utah-the-News 
Presenting Friday, December 6th

1st Period: Hailey Vargas, Deigo Sanchez, Marci Salazar
2nd Period:  Isabella Wood, Evelin Sotelo, Maxx Remiro
4th Period:  *Kobe Barney, Tosh Wright, Jacob Thalmann, Brinklie Shotwell
5th Period:  *Brooklyn Alldredge, *Tristian Auston, Ivete Ayungua, Alicia Baker, Ashlin Bergeson
6th Period: *Skylar Avery, Lauren Breckrenridge (absent), Alyssa Button, Aubri Denter, Vanessa Eckberg, Keith Schear


Week 17 Schedule
December 2nd-6th

Monday, December 2nd
End-of-the-Month Drawing
Calendar Wk. 17/Reading Check for Wk. 16
 *note that students are only required to record their reading M-Tu but I will give extra effort for additional reading that is recorded.
Motivational-Monday Video
Introduce Book-to-Film Unit (Venn-Diagram, Novel vs. Movies)
 Learning Objective: I can be organized by showing Mrs. Robins my reading minutes.  I can understand and use a Venn Diagram to compare and contrast novel and film.

Tuesday, December 3rd
Harry Potter, Book 1: Novel & Film Analysis (focus on Character)
Venn Diagrams
Small Group Activity
Learning Objective: I can note differences between novel and film and see how directors and authors use different techniques to show characters.

Wednesday, December 4th
Hunger Games: Novel & Film Analysis (focus on Setting)
Venn Diagrams
Small Group Activity
Am/Pm Wednesday Reading Club
Learning Objective: I can note differences between novel and film and see how directors and authors use different techniques to show setting.

Thursday, December 5th
Percy Jackson and the Lightening Thief: Novel and Film Analysis (focus on an Event)
Venn Diagrams
Library Day
Learning Objective: I can note differences between novel and film and see how directors and authors use different techniques to portray an event.

Friday, December 6th
Random-Student-of-the-Week
Utah-in-the-News
Gecko Time: Enrichment, Reteaching or Homework Hall
Learning Objective: I can practice listening and/or speaking skills during Utah-in-the-News.  If I am caught-up on all my work, I will celebrate learning in Enrichment.  If I did not pass the Post-Unit Figurative Language test or understand the concept, I will attend Reteaching.  If I am missing assignments, I will be in Homework Hall.


          vs.   

No comments:

Post a Comment