Monday, December 30, 2013

Week 20 Update and Schedule

I hope everyone enjoyed the Christmas break.  I certainly did and I'm looking forward to a fantastic second-half of the school year.  Thank you for the many generous gifts and cards; I can't tell you how appreciative I am and how such kindnesses really made my holiday special.

Next week, we will begin "Fight with Facts", our Argumentative/Research Paper Unit.  I'm really excited about this one, students will learn valuable, life-long critical thinking and research skills as they research a topic.  The cool thing is that students will learn to examine both sides of an issue, then form a thesis and back it up with facts.  Look for more information next week.

I've graded all Book Reports that were handed in.  I was pleased with the majority of the reports, I know it the concept of film/book analysis was new and hard for some. I was proud of students for trying and giving 100%.  Some students struggled and scored low.  After grading all book reports, it seems that there was some misunderstanding with instructions.  I am happy to have students revise and hand in their reports again for a higher grade.  On Thursday, I'll pass around a sign-up sheet if students want to meet briefly before or after school, do a writer's conference and then re-work their report.

Please check PowerSchool and look at grades.  Some grades are low right now because some students haven't completed their Book Reports or their library Utah Expedition Question.  Encourage your student to catch up as soon as possible.

It's a short week, here is our schedule.  Again, thanks for your continued support and please feel free to contact me anytime by email, rachel.robins@washk12.org or at the school at (435) 652-4742.

Thursday, January 2, 2014
*Reading Check (anyone who read and recorded their reading will receive extra effort points)
*Hand Back Book Report Scoring Sheets/Sign-ups for Writer's Conferences & Revisions
*Scope Magazine Paired Text Practice

Friday, January 3, 2014
*Random Student
*Gecko Enrichment: Scope Magazine-Superbugs Activity
*Homework Hall: Students with Missing Assignments


No comments:

Post a Comment