Friday, January 3, 2014

Week 21: Update and Schedule

I am excited to begin our Argumentative Research Paper: Fight with Facts!  The life-skill/Common Core aligned concept is all about researching and deeply thinking about both sides of an issue, then making a decision and backing up an argument with facts.  Students will use the SIRS Research Database (from Utah's Pioneer Library) to choose their topics and access age-appropriate research.  This is a big unit and I'll be walking students through the steps, one at a time.  It's very important that students be in attendance so they understand the process.  This unit will stretch over the month.

I so appreciate the outpouring of support from parents & guardians; please contact me at rachel.robins@washk12.org or 435-652-4742.


Utah-the-News 
Presenting Monday, January 13th

1st Period: *Derek R., Melanie L., Ben K. & Alberto M.
2nd Period:  *Sauni N., Taylor T., Ethan R., Kaden C.
4th Period:  Levi R., Brittany C., Tim S.
5th Period:  Teagun C., Cade G., Chole D.
6th Period: Holden F., Yessenia F., Jake J.


Week 21 Schedule
January 6-10

Monday,January 6th
Calendar Wk. 21/ Wk. 20 Reading Check (60 minutes required)
Introduce Argumentative Research Paper & Argumentation
Scope: Facebook Activity
 Learning Objective: I can be organized by showing Mrs. Robins my reading minutes.  I can learn and understand what Argumentation is and what I will need to do for my Argumentative Research Paper.

Tuesday, January 7th
Finish Facebook Activity
Explore SIRS Research Data Base (B-Lab)
Begin Topic Organizer
Learning Objective:  I can practice using Argumentative techniques.  I can understand and use the SIRS Research Data Base and begin researching topics.

Wednesday, January 8th (meet in B Lab)
Finish Topic Organizer, Choose a Topic
Research Chart, Bibliography Instruction
AM/PM Wednesday Reading Club
Learning Objective:  I can practice using Argumentative techniques.  I can understand and use the Research Chart.  I can understand how to create a Bibliography.

Thursday, January 9th (meet in B Lab)
Begin Research Chart
Library
Learning Objective:  I can understand and use the Research Chart.  I can gain and practice informational text research skills in the library.

Friday, January 10th (meet in B Lab)
Finish Research Chart
*Research Chart Due Today
Learning Objective: I can complete my Research Chart.  I will gain knowledge about my topic and begin to organize my information.

No comments:

Post a Comment