Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Week 27 Update and Schedule

I am so proud of students working hard and finishing strong!  Grades look good and I appreciate seeing students push themselves to succeed!

It's a new trimester and I'm excited to have a fresh start and finish out this year strong.  Looking ahead, we'll be finishing "Out of the Dust", do SAGE test-prep, benchmark testing, and move into our final novel of the year, "Esperanza Rising".  There will still be two book reports.  The first book report will be a novel project on "Out of the Dust"--more information coming on this soon.  It's going to be a fast-paced and learning-filled last trimester and I'm really looking forward to seeing students grow.

Please take a moment with your student and encourage them to reflect on their learning and maybe even set some Trimester 3 goals.  I'm finding the students who can focus and reflect tend to have the most success.  Just a couple of  important items to be aware of:
  • Practice SAGE testing--we'll be doing it class soon but home practice would be great.  All the information is posted on the left hand side of the blog.  You can do sample Language Arts, Math and Science tests.  The more familiar your child can become with this new testing system, the better they will do.
  • Keep reading at HOME and record it in your planner.  Not doing and recording home reading is the #1 reason for poor citizenship.  Students need to read 30 minutes a day, 5 days a week.  
Thank you for your support--please contact me by calling the school (652-4742) or emailing me at rachel.robins@washk12.org.

Utah-the-News 
Presenting Friday, February 21st

1st Period: Hailey, Diego, Marci
2nd Period: Isabelle, Taylor, Makayla T.  
4th Period: Tosh, Isaiah, Brinklie
5th Period:  Brooklyn, Juan, Tristin
6th Period:  Faith, Nate T., Zach


Week 27 Schedule
February 17-21

Monday, February 17th
No School: Happy President's Day!

Tuesday, February 18th
Meet in D Lab: SAGE Testing Preview
Learning Objective:  I can understand how to navigate the new end-of-level test and understand what will be expected of me when testing.

Wednesday, February 19th
Journal Prompt
"Out of the Dust": Spring 1935--Finish Novel
AM/PM Wednesday Reading Club  
Learning Objective: I can analyze literature and demonstrate it in my journal. I can read and comprehend literature.

Thursday, February 20th  
Introduce Novel Projects
Journal Prompt
Library Day
Learning Objective:  I can read and comprehend literature.  I can gain valuable informational/research library skills.

Friday, February 21st
Utah-in-the-News
Random Student
Work on Novel Projects
Learning Objective:  I can practice speaking/listening skills during Utah-in-the-News.  I will attend school and participate in Gecko Time.  If I am caught-up on my work, I will enjoy an enriched learning activity.  If I am missing work, I will attend Homework Hall where I can receive extra time and support to help me.

No comments:

Post a Comment