Saturday, February 8, 2014

Week 26 Update and Schedule

I've been so proud of students as they have worked hard this week, not only with completing Book Reports, but in class as we did Close Reading and Paired Text.  Their ability to critically-think and participate in higher-level class discussions has left me smiling all week long!  It is such a joy to teach this group of students.

The end of the trimester is on Friday, so it's the final push for all students to complete their work.  Again, here is the list to be aware of:
  • I'm working on hard to complete all grading; keep an eye on PowerSchool and let me know if you have questions.
  • All Work Must be in by Wednesday, February 12th to be counted in 2nd Trimester grades.
  • Extra Credit Effort assignments are in class--students need to pick one up.  Each sheet (text evidence practice) is worth 10 effort points.  Students can also present their book reports on Monday for extra Effort credit.
  • Extra Credit Academic options: revise/redo any assignment or do a writing contest (forms in class) or complete another Utah-in-the-News.
  • Practice SAGE testing--we'll be doing it class soon but home practice would be great.  All the information was in an email I sent this week or see the blog.
  • Keep reading at HOME and record it in your planner.  Not doing and recording home reading is the #1 reason for poor citizenship.  Students need to read 30 minutes a day, 5 days a week.
Thank you for your support--please contact me by calling the school (652-4742) or emailing me at rachel.robins@washk12.org.

Utah-the-News 
Presenting Friday, February 14th

1st Period: Kaleigh B. (absent), Tailor, Taylan, Sarah, Kinley
2nd Period:  All Finished!
4th Period:  All Finished!
5th Period:   Makaela, Jeffrey, Alexis, Karissa
6th Period:  *Tyler


Week 26 Schedule
February 10-14

Monday, February 10th
Schedule Week 26/Reading Check Week 25
Book-in-a-Bag & Extra Effort Credit Book Reports
PLC MINIMUM SCHOOL DAY
 Learning Objective:  I can be organized and show Mrs. Robins my reading minutes.  I can practice listening and speaking skills during Book Report Presentations.

Tuesday, February 11th
Journal Write
"Out of the Dust": First Rain-Time to Go
Paired Text Activity: Homelessness: Then & Now
Learning Objective:  I can read multiple texts, make connections, find text evidence and write about it.  I can read and comprehend literature.


Wednesday, February 12th
"Out of the Dust" Finish Winter 1935
Close Reading: "Heartsick"
AM/PM Wednesday Reading Club  
Learning Objective:  I can practice Close Reading to increase my comprehension.  I can read and comprehend literature.

Thursday, February 13th  
"Out of the Dust" Begin Summer 1935
Library Day
Learning Objective:  I can read and comprehend literature.  I can gain valuable informational/research library skills.

Friday, February 14th
Utah-in-the-News
Random Student
Gecko Time: Enrichment or Homework Hall
End of the Trimester: Finish Strong!
Learning Objective:  I can practice speaking/listening skills during Utah-in-the-News.  I will attend school and participate in Gecko Time.  If I am caught-up on my work, I will enjoy an enriched learning activity.  If I am missing work, I will attend Homework Hall where I can receive extra time and support to help me.


Happy Valentines Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment