Thursday, January 9, 2014

Week 22 Update and Schedule

It's been a great week in Language Arts!  I'm very pleased with the hard work students are putting into their Argumentative Research papers.  It's exciting to see students stretch themselves and gain valuable critical-thinking/research skills.  Please encourage your student to stay on top of the work and if they get behind or miss a day, have them meet with me before or after school.

My goal is to have students do all their work in class where I can help them.  However, if they do need more time or miss school they can work on their assignment at home (Google Drive) and can access the research data base: Pioneer Library at home as well.  The link to Pioneer Library is  Pioneer Library. Students then need to select "SIRS Issues Researcher" and go to their topic of choice.  Home access login name = pioneer and password = student.

Looking Ahead: The next book report is due February 5th.  Students may read any book they haven't read before that is at least 150 pages.  They can select any book report type they choose.

Thank you for your support, please contact me with any questions at rachel.robins@washk12.org or 435-652-4742.


Utah-the-News 
Presenting Friday, January 17th

1st Period: Ethan H., Demi H., Carson H.
2nd Period:  Dylan C., Jaylie E., Bri. G.
4th Period:  Wyatt P., Christian P., Bryanna O.
5th Period:  Aston H., Mia H., Andrew H.
6th Period: Brinkley M., Adi M., Sammi M.


Week 22 Schedule
January 13-17

Monday, January 13th (meet in classroom then B Lab)
Calendar Wk. 22/ Wk. 21 Reading Check (30 minutes a day, 5 days a week required)
Handout on Organization
Mini-Lesson: Claim, Text Evidence
Finish Research Chart/Information Outline
 Learning Objective: I can be organized by showing Mrs. Robins my reading minutes.   I can further understand and practice crafting a claim and using text evidence as I begin drafting my Argumentative Research Paper.

Tuesday, January 14th (meet in B Lab)
Mini-Lesson: Warrant, Counterclaim
Finish Information Outline/Begin 1st Draft
Learning Objective:  I can understand and practice crafting a warrant and counterclaim as I continue drafting an Argumentative Research Paper. 

Wednesday, January 15th (meet in B Lab)
Work on 1st Draft 
AM/PM Wednesday Reading Club
Learning Objective:  I will continue drafting my Argumentative Research Paper.

Thursday, January 16th (meet in B Lab)
Work on 1st Draft 
Library
Learning Objective:  I will continue drafting my Argumentative Research Paper. I can gain and practice informational text research skills in the library.

Friday, January 17th (meet in B Lab)
Utah-in-the-News
1st Draft Due Today
Gecko Time 
Learning Objective:  I will practice speaking and listening skills and informational text skills during Utah-in-the-News.  I'll have my 1st Draft prepared today and will participate in an enriched learning activity for Gecko Time or use my time wisely and finish missing work during Homework Hall.

No comments:

Post a Comment