Saturday, January 25, 2014

Week 24: January 27-31--the Novel Unit Begins!

It's been a busy week as students have finished their Argumentative Research papers and I've been very pleased to see many students push themselves hard and do their best.  I can' wait to start reading them!  I like to grade as quickly as possible, so look for scores to be posted this week.  The trimester is ending soon, so any students who have not handed in their assignment will be placed on lunch detention to give them extra time to finish if needed.  I can' stress how important it is to meet deadlines--it's real-world preparation.

Information on Snow Canyon Middle Honors English program (this was sent in an email, but here it is again):
Students were given their registration for SCMS last week and I've had several questions on the application process for Honors English.

If your child loves to read and/or write, I would strongly encourage them to apply to be in Honors English next year.  I did my college Practicum time with Ms. Nesmith and saw how the Honors program worked. She is an outstanding teacher and students really have the opportunity to succeed in her class.

The SCMS counselor has told me that all they need is a writing sample with a scored rubric.  Students can use their Personal Narrative from this fall or their Research paper that was due on Friday. If you want to use the Research paper, please email me this weekend and I'll grade your child's paper first and have it ready by Monday or Tuesday.  I'll have them print out their paper, staple the rubric to it and we'll deliver it to Ms. Poll who will take it to Snow Canyon Middle School.

I have talked to many of my students and encouraged them to apply as they have the skills, talent and work ethic to really do well in Honors English.


Upcoming Deadlines:  Just as a reminder, book reports are due February 5th and then end of our trimester is on February 7th.  Please encourage your student to buckle down and work as hard as they can to be successful.





We will be starting our Novel Unit this week.  I have selected Karen Hesse's "Out of the Dust."  See the "Novel Corner" blog post for information about the book.  We will focus on character analysis, close reading, paired text, poetry, author's purpose and critical thinking. I have a lot of fun things planned and I am excited to explore this text with students.  As we do this unit, we will also be practicing the kind of questions that will be on the new SAGE end-of-level test then move to our Test Preparation unit.

Here is the schedule for next week:


Utah-the-News 
Presenting Friday, January 31st

1st Period: Armando, Donovan, Lucy, Amanda
2nd Period:  Conner,  Elley, Tiffani, Alex, Mikayla L., Makayla T.
4th Period:  Aleya, Jonah, Daveena, Jeremy, Brittany, Geronimo, Kenneth
5th Period:  *Teagun, Lacey, Brock, Kayla, Chelsi
6th Period:  Emily, Tyler, Kate, Cheyenne


Week 24 Schedule
January 27-31

Monday, January 27th
Schedule Week 24/Reading Check Week 23
Random Student
Utah-in-the-News
Monday Write: Creative
Learning Objective:  I will be organized and show Mrs. Robins my reading minutes and schedule our upcoming week.  I can practice speaking/listening skills during Utah-in-the-News.  I can practice my writing skills during the creative writing exercise.

Tuesday, January 28th
Introduction to "Out of the Dust"
Computer-Based Exploration of the 1930's Oklahoma Dust Bowl
Learning Objective:  I can understand what our novel unit will cover and what I will be expected to learn.  I can use technology to explore and understand the Oklahoma Dust Bowl.


Wednesday, January 29th
"Out of the Dust": Winter 1934
Introduction to Close Reading
AM/PM Wednesday Reading Club  
Learning Objective:   I can understand how to do a Close Reading and reflect on what I have read.  

Thursday, January 30th  
Scope Magazine: Paired Text Activity
Library Day
Learning Objective:  I can read two texts, understand them, make connections and practice critical thinking skills.

Friday, January 31st
Utah-in-the-News
Random Student
Gecko Time: Enrichment or Homework Hall
Learning Objective:  I can practice speaking/listening skills during Utah-in-the-News.  I will attend school and participate in Gecko Time.  If I am caught-up on my work, I will enjoy an enriched learning activity.  If I am missing work, I will attend HOmework Hall where I can receive extra time and support to help me.


No comments:

Post a Comment