Friday, January 17, 2014

Week 23 Update and Schedule

Whew!  What an awesome week in Language Arts it has been!  Students have dove into their research, explored their topics, crafted a claim statement and have worked on completing their first draft.  I am so proud of their hard work and effort.  Being able to research, critically think, see two sides of an argument and defend your ideas is a life-skill that will continue to benefit the students.

It is a 3-day weekend (yay!) but if students did not complete their first draft, they are responsible to finish at home and have it ready for Tuesday. We are doing Peer Editing on Tuesday and if they are not prepared, they cannot participate in editing or have their paper edited.  This will be unfortunate because they won't receive the valuable feedback they need.  Please make sure your child is prepared for class on Tuesday.

Looking ahead--Book Reports are due February 5th.  I will have book report forms available for students to select on Tuesday.  Most students have already committed to a book, or I assigned them a book if they didn't already have one.  The book needs to be 150 pages or more and one that they haven't read before. They can select any book report type they haven't done before.  I'll have a wide variety available.

Thank you for your ongoing support--I try to do grading quickly, so keep an eye on PowerSchool and let me know if you have questions.  I'll be at a training on Thursday and Friday, but I'll leave good instructions for my sub and I can be reached by email anytime throughout the day.  My email is rachel.robins@washk12.org or call the school at 652-4742.
Enjoy the long weekend!



Utah-the-News 
Presenting MONDAY, January 27th

1st Period: Ethan H., Demi H., Carson H. (turn-in from last week), Trayson, Mckade, Kailee H.
2nd Period:  Conner, Jessica, Sadie
4th Period:  Brittany, Geronimo, Kenneth
5th Period:  Brady, Bryson, Quincy
6th Period:  Holden, Skylee, Dallas, Kasey


Week 23 Schedule
January 20-24

Monday, January 20th
No School: Happy Martin Luther King Day!

Tuesday, January 21st (meet in class)
Calendaring/Reading Check
Peer Editing
Learning Objective:  I can carefully edit a paper, looking for specific elements and have my own paper edited to prepare for my final revision.

Wednesday, January 22nd (meet in B Lab)
Work on Final Draft
Teacher Writer's Conferences
AM Wednesday Reading Club only this week
Learning Objective:  Using feedback from my editor and Mrs. Robins, I will carefully craft the final draft of my Research Paper.

Thursday, January 23rd (meet in B Lab)
Work on Final Draft 
Library Day
Learning Objective:  Using feedback from my editor and Mrs. Robins, I will carefully craft the final draft of my Research Paper. I can gain and practice informational text research skills in the library.

Friday, January 24th (meet in D Lab)
Final Draft Due Today (Google-Share with Mrs. Robins)
Homework Hall (finish Final Draft) or Gecko Enrichment
Learning Objective:  I will practice speaking and listening skills and informational text skills during Utah-in-the-News.  I'll have my Final Draft finished today and will participate in an enriched learning activity for Gecko Time or use my time wisely and finish missing work during Homework Hall.

No comments:

Post a Comment